Pittsburgh Steelers – 2016 record (11-5) – 1st in AFC North
- Off YPG – 372.6 (7th) – Def YPG – 342.6 (12th)
- Points scored 24.9 (11th) – Points allowed 20.4 (10th)
2017 ASA prediction – Play OVER 10.5 Wins for the Pittsburgh Steelers
This one was a tough call as we think this number of 10.5 is set exactly where it should be. However we have to lean OVER here and we expect the Steelers to get to 11 wins again in 2017. They finished 11-5 last year and that was with Roethlisberger sitting out 2 games due to injury. Big Ben’s health is obviously a key to this selection. He needs to stay on the field and with his age and the beating he takes, that is not guaranteed. His weapons on offense are 2nd to none with RB Bell & WR Brown causing problems for defenses. They have finished in the top 7 in total offense each of the last 3 years and another high finish is expected this season. The schedule on the front end and back end is favorable. The Steelers begin the season in Cleveland and don’t play a playoff team from last year until week 6. They should be favored in 11 of their first 12 games and if the season plays out as we think, this team will most likely be an underdog only twice all season (vs New England and @ KC). There are a few other games that could go either way spread wise (@ Baltimore, @ Cincinnati, and @ Houston) although worst case scenario would have them a small underdog in those. They close the season with 5 of their last 7 games at home and their overall schedule ranks as the 5th easiest in the NFL with their opponents winning just 45% of their games last season.
Against The Spread – 9-6-1 ATS record / 6 Overs, 10 Unders
- Ravens vs Steelers – 11 of the last 18 meetings between these two AFC North rivals were decided by 3 or less
- Since 2003, Pittsburgh has the 4th best ATS home record in the NFL (66-52-3) covering 56% of the time.
- Since 2003, the Steelers are 9-3-2 (75%) as a home underdog – best mark in the NFL.
- Going back to 2010, Pittsburgh is 25-15 ATS (62.5%) the game following a SU loss.
- Steelers have dominated AFC North rival Cincinnati. Pitt is 40-14 SU the last 52 meetings and 36-18 ATS.